Book Club: July & August

The Beginning Of Everything

Yay! Welcome to my first ever book club pick! I will be choosing one book monthly that I am definitely going to read. This is a book that I encourage all of you to read as well. I will not be doing a review on this book, but rather a discussion that I invite you to participate in. I will share my honest feelings on the book. So be ready for me to share all of my rants, moments of tears, and frustration towards the characters decisions. I will be updating the page as I read instead of just when I finish! Beware of spoilers. Only read through my discussions on pages you have read. Comment! Comment! Comment!
Displaying IMG_2271.JPGTitle: The Beginning of Everything
Genre:  Young Adult / Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Harper Collins
Rating: 
Synopsis: "Varsity tennis captain Ezra Faulkner was supposed to be homecoming king, but that was before—before his girlfriend cheated on him, before a car accident shattered his leg, and before he fell in love with unpredictable new girl Cassidy Thorpe."

07/16/17- Chapter 1 
         I am so sorry that this has taken me so long to start! I have been away on vacation for all but three days of July. That said, I am home now for good!
         I started the first chapter of The Beginning Of Everything today, and wow was I shocked. I love how the author took such a deep and, horrible situation and brought such humor to it. I really love books that are centered around tragedy such as, The Running Dream. This book allowed me to feel the tragedy but, to see it in a different way. I love this idea that every person has a tragedy waiting for them at one point or another. Whether it happens when you are ten or seventy. In some ways I feel like we all have a bunch of small tragedies, things that happen that we must overcome. That is why I love the way Robyn Schneider ends chapter one saying, "I still think that everyone's life, no matter how unremarkable, has a singular tragic encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. That moment is the catalyst --- the first step in the equation. BUT KNOWING THE FIRST STEP WILL GET YOU NOWHERE --- IT'S WHAT COMES AFTER THAT DETERMINES THE RESULT." So every tragedy that you are given comes with a choice, a choice of what you want to make of it.
         Let me know of any tragedies that you have had? What did you make of it? Do you think that you can relate to Ezra's character? What did Chapter 1 make you feel?

07/19/17- Chapter 2
         This one was short, but sweet. I loved how the second chapter of the book leads us into just how hard it was for Ezra to be left with nothing. He was a guy who in his eyes, had everything. The school was "his". Many of us know people like that. A person who thinks they are on top, a person who thinks they run the place, and we all secretly wish that it would all come crashing down. I think I learned from this chapter, that they might not have anything to fall back on. Ezra went from having everything, to having nothing.
         I loved the analogy of how the school changed from an inviting place to a scary place the moment Ezra realized he no longer fit in. It is definitely true that things from our past that hold good and bad memories usually, take on the bad.
         Have you ever had to give up something you love, such as Ezra? How did that make you feel? Have you ever felt like you had lost everything that made you who you are? How do you feel about Ezra's character so far?

07/19/17- Chapter 3
         I think it's great that the first chapter opened up talking about Ezra's friend Toby's tragedy. This is neat because the two only happened to reunite due to Ezra's own tragedy. Isn't it crazy how things seem to fall into place for us. When we think we are at our worst, and are helpless, everything ends up working out. Sometimes things even end up better than before. So keep that in mind when you think your tragedy has struck.
         Can you think of anything good that has happened to you in a bad situation? Have you ever reconnected with an old friend, like Ezra?

07/31/17- Chapter 4
         Ezra's encounter with his AP euro teacher sounded all too familiar. I know of so many people who hold back their answers in fear of looking like a show off. We have all been there. We don't want to look too capable and have more pressure put on us. Also I am a bit upset with his attitude. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but he seems very negative. Not to mention he just assumes that none of his old friends will want to hang out with him, which he wouldn't know unless he gave them a shot.
         How many of you think that the girl in his class is Cassidy Thorpe? I guarantee it. On that note, can you believe he was so rude to her? My goodness does breaking your knee suddenly make you a jerk. Wow the kids in his school are mean? I can't believe they go around rubbing all that they can do without him right in his face. I did think Ezra's choice of words to describe Cassidy wasn't the smartest decision. She might have been his only friend and he totally went and blew that one.

08/01/17- Chapter 5-7
        To start with, Ezra's family doesn't seem to considerate of what happened to him. He gets in a car accident and loses everything and they don't even seem to console him. Considering what has happened to him, Ezra does take it quite well, but I feel as if he still needs help. One thing is for sure, I really like his new friends. I feel like a lot of people are with the wrong group of people, but they don't realize until they are forced to step away, that there are much better people out there for them. I believe that Ezra will fit in much better with this group.
         Let's talk about the opening line of chapter 6! Incredible. I just loved the way that Scheider made this analogy, "If everything really does get better, the way everyone claims, then happiness should be graphable. You draw up an X axis and a Y axis, where a positive slope represents a positive attitude, plot some points, and there you go. But that's crap, because better isn't quantifiable." Things in life don't work on a linear system, so people shouldn't be expected to just have their feelings suddenly get better over time. There will be ups and downs, highs and lows. Not to mention every person and every situation is different. We as people can't go around setting a time limit for others to get over things or to forgive us. All of these things happen in due time. For some, like Ezra, they must first realize what they have lost to understand their gains.

08/06/17- Chapter 8-9
         One thing I can't stand is when a character just magically falls in love with a girl he has know for weeks after getting a better look at her. I feel as if a person falls in love after getting to know each other more. So, when Ezra decided he had feelings for Cassidy after noticing her beauty, it made me a bit angry. Also why is he so stupid? Can you believe he even asked Charlotte out? She was so rude. I literally would hate her if she existed in real life. It is not cool. At all. I am currently feeling as if Ezra is going to do something stupid like try to kiss Cassidy, and ruin everything. He just seems like that type. I also feel like she is the type that would take some time to get to know a person. What are your thoughts? Will Ezra make a bad move?

08/10/17- Chapter 10-12
        For starters, the floating movie theater sounds like the coolest thing ever. If I knew that I wouldn't get in trouble for doing that at school, I would sooo start that club. It's so cool how the movies match the place they watch it in and the gift correlates as well. I really like Ezra's new friends. It mad me kind of sad when he was talking about everything he used to do with Toby when he was younger. I couldn't believe he would just give all of that up. It seemed like he had a great friendship. I don't know if I could have forgiven him. If you were Toby would you forgive Ezra?
        So wow Ezra definitely ruined things with Cassidy, only to find out that she is totally okay with it. Well that's just awkward. She kind of confuses me. I like her a lot, but I just feel like her and Ezra are on such different levels. They aren't really connecting with me. I'm not getting the whole warm and fuzzy feeling when they are together. Not to mention, Ezra kind of freaks me out when he talks about her on the swing in the dress and all that. I mean can you not like a girl for her personality?
        The college class thing seemed fun. I would love to do something like that. I did think it was odd that Ezra was so willing to share his feelings with Cassidy. I would have liked to see the actual conversation, instead of just his brief synopsis. I think that would have made the moment more intimate and would have made more sense for Cassidy's response.

Comments